The Central Sydney North Tenant Participation Resource Service (CSNTPRS) was funded by the NSW Department of Family and Community Services and Housing NSW. The Service was operated by the Inner Sydney Regional Council for Social Development Inc. for 23 years until FaCS closed the Service at the end of November 2018.
The Service was open to all public, community and Aboriginal housing tenants and applicants who lived in the following Local Government Areas: Hornsby, Hunters Hill, Ku-ring-gai, Lane Cove, Leichhardt, Manly, Marrickville, Mosman, North Sydney, Pittwater, Ryde, Sydney City, South Sydney, Warringah and Willoughby. With the trasfer of housing stock to Community Housing Providers, FaCS decided they would no longer fund the provision of support for Community Housing tenants independently of their landlord.
A new and very different program, the Tenant Participation and Community Engagement (TPCE) program is expected to provide some services to public housing tenants. Rather than using regional TPRS workers and the also disbanded place-based Housing Communities Program (HCP) woirkers, The TPCE program will be run by Mission Australia accross all regions of NSW.
You can see Inner Sydney Voice’s assessment of the changed program in our article Tenant Participation Resource Service (TPRS) ends
- Advice, referral and tenant advocacy;
- Departmental liaison and advice;
- Tenant engagement;
- Community building; and
- Partnerships, networks and linkages.
What did the CSNTPRS do?
- provide support and free training in tenant participation to tenants and tenant groups;
- encourage opportunities for tenants to become involved in tenant participation and decision-making processes;
- resource new and existing tenant groups through Local Group Funding;
- support community development activities;
- provide information on social housing and other government and community issues and services;
- referral to government and community based services;
- advocacy for tenant groups regarding housing and other related concerns; and
- provide opportunities for community engagement.
- Waterloo Neighbourhood Advisory Board (NAB);
- Redfern NAB;
- Surry Hills NAB;
- Surry Hills Public Tenants’ Association;
- Joanna O’Dea Tenant Group;
- Ivanhoe Place Tenant Group, Ryde;
- Woolloomooloo NAB;
- Millers Point Estate Advisory Board;
- Greenway Tenants Group, Milsons Point;
- Purcell Tenant Group;
- Glebe Area Tenants Group;
- Blandville Court Tenants Group, Gladesville;
- Dora St Area Tenants Group, Marsfield; and
- Erskineville Estate Tenant Group.