After 21 years in its terrace in Kings Cross, women’s refuge Lou’s Place is bursting at the seams. Lou’s Place is limited in the number of people it can have in the house, the activities it can run, the people it can feed and ultimately the number of women it can help. In short, Lou’s Place needs a new home.
The wish list
• 400+ square metres — dedicated, secure and functional spaces.
• Central location near public transport.
• Dedicated case manager and counselling rooms.
• Two x client lounges/dining areas.
• Multiple laundry and shower facilities.
• Storage room for donated goods (clothes and toiletries).
• Fully equipped commercial kitchen.
• Immediately increase the number of women it helps by 50 percent.
• Within five years, double the number of women it helps.
• Have sufficient private and multipurpose spaces to run innovative and tailored activities and programs.
• Provide a holistic client approach to address mental health, domestic violence, homelessness and addiction issues.
• Raise over $5m in donations and pledges to help fund a new home.